Many of us can feel helpless when hearing about the conflict in Ukraine. We’ve put together some pointers to organisations and charities if you feel you can help or give in some way.
The UK government has announced it is developing a new humanitarian sponsorship programme that will allow an unlimited number of Ukrainian families to come to the UK.
The Sanctuary Foundation are asking individuals, community groups, churches, schools and businesses to register their interest in becoming a sponsor. Declaring your interest will greatly assist the development and acceleration of this vital provision for Ukrainian refugees.
Potential ways you could be involved include:
- Welcoming a Ukrainian family to live in your community
- Finding and possibly furnishing suitable accommodation
- Raising of support funds (in previous sponsorships this has been £1k – 9k per family)
- Befriending and integration support through volunteering your time.
If you would like to donate items, the Polish Social Club in Southampton are taking donations, and have collection points all over Southampton. Details of these can be found here.
For information on items desperately needed, and for more information from the Polish Social Club, here is a link to their Facebook page and their latest updates.
If you would like to donate money, the Disasters Emergency Committee are taking donations to help meet the needs of all refugees and displaced people.
- £30 could provide essential hygiene supplies for three people for one month
- £50 could provide blankets for four families
- £100 could provide emergency food for two families for one month
If you are not able to give in these ways but would like to pray, 24/7 Prayer have some very helpful resources to help us to pray in this difficult time. Additionally you can find prayers from the Church of England here.
On Sunday 27 February, we held a prayer space for individuals to come and pray specifically for Ukraine. Any future openings will be advertised on our website under latest news.