During the coronavirus pandemic, we’re not currently running our normal events below.
To stay in touch, email running@ascensionsouthampton.
We’ve set up a social community #RunAndTalk run on Mondays at 7.00pm. Not for chasing PB’s, but to support running for good mental health in our local area. These runs are suitable for anyone aged 16+ , who can comfortably run 5km. And it’s completely free to join us.
Our community is made up of new couch to 5k graduates, 10k, half-marathon, marathon, and even ultra marathon runners! In the group we have trained mental health first aiders and mental health champions.
Worried that you can’t yet run 5k? That’s ok. Some of our sessions are accessible runs so you can test yourself. And we run regular couch to 5k courses to get you started.
We encourage people, no matter how experienced or inexperienced, to feel comfortable chatting and sharing life while we run. Talking about mental health – the good, the bad, and the ugly, is normal for us.
One of our qualified run leaders and mental health first aiders says,
“There is so much evidence for running being beneficial for our mental health. We have such a friendly bunch of people that I’m really confident that new folk will feel welcomed and safe to come and try with us.”
What we are, and what we’re not
We’re sociable. We’re friendly and warm. We love to talk and spend time with others. We’re compassionate. We care for the people around us, whether we know you well or we’ve yet to meet. We hope that our community encourages wellbeing. We’re inclusive. This is a community where everyone’s welcome. We listen to each other. We’ll work to remove as many barriers as possible, so that anyone can be a part of the group.
- We’re a social running community with a focus on wellbeing and mental health.
- We welcome all runners (age 16+) who can comfortably run a 5k distance, and chat while they’re running.
- Our #RunAndTalk sessions are not about personal bests, racing, or competitions, they’re about running and talking together. We can point runners in the direction of running clubs who can support them in their training and races.
- Our Mental Health Champions are trained in mental health first aid.
We do not diagnose, or offer treatment for mental health issues. We can point you in the direction of people who do.
Join us on Mondays at 7.00pm, starting and finishing at the church café.
Other running and social activities
- weekly 5k social #RunAndTalk session
- monthly #BrewMonday post-run refreshments in the café
- signposting to local, relevant mental health services where required
- accessible runs for people to see if they can manage a 5k distance
- couch to 5k courses to get you started
- community socials
- invitations to other Ascension community activities and events